Sabtu, 22 April 2017

Muhammad Nabil Al Mahdhy
1EA18
1.   Some and Any
2.   Much and Many
3.   A lot of and Few

Some/any
The words some and any are used when the speaker cannot specify or does not need/want to specify a number or an exact amount. Compare the following sentences:
- I saw seven deer when riding my bike in the forest yesterday. (It is important that you know how many deer I saw.)
- I saw some deer when riding my bike in the forest yesterday. (I don't know exactly how many deer I saw. Or: It is not important that you know exactly how many deer I saw.)
The "rules" that follow apply also to words containing some and any: somebody/anybody, something/anything, etc.
In general, some is used in positive sentences:
1.      I got some nice present for Hilma party tonight.
2.      This job is going to take some time.
3.      Look! There are some large black birds on the roof of the Lisa house.
4.      You have some butter on your chin.
5.      If you hungry, there are some biscuit in the cupboard.
In general, any is used in negative sentences and questions:
1.      I looked in the cupboard by I couldn’t find any biscuit.
2.      I don’t need any help.
3.      She’s so rude. No wonder she dosen’t have any friends.
4.      I don’t have anything to wear to the dance.
5.      Im not hungry. I don’t want anything to eat.
Much and many
We use much with singular uncountable nouns and many with plural nouns:
[talking about money]
I haven’t got much change. I’ve only got a ten euro note.
Are there many campsites near you?

Questions and negatives

We usually use much and many with questions (?) and negatives (−):
Is there much unemployment in that area?
How many eggs are in this cake?
Do you think many people will come?
It was pouring with rain but there wasn’t much wind.
There aren’t many women priests.

Affirmatives

In affirmative clauses we sometimes use much and many in more formal styles:
There is much concern about drug addiction in the US.
He had heard many stories about Yanto and he knew he was trouble.
In informal styles, we prefer to use lots of or a lot of:
I went shopping and spent a lot of money.
Not: I went shopping and spent much money
See also:

Much of, many of

When we use much or many before articles (a/an, the), demonstratives (this, that), possessives (my, your) or pronouns (him, them), we need to use of:
How much of this book is fact and how much is fiction?
Claude, the seventeenth-century French painter, spent much of his life in Italy.
Unfortunately, not many of the photographers were there.
How many of them can dance, sing and act?
A lot of and a few
A lot of and lots of are used to express that there is a large quantity of something.
We use a lot of in positive sentences, negative sentences and questions. This expression can be used with countable or uncountable nouns.
  • There are a lot of dogs in the street. (Countable noun)
  • I have a lot of time to answer your questions. (Uncountable noun)
  • I saw a lot of people waiting in the queue. (Countable)
  • We did have a lot of fun, didn't we? (Uncountable)
We use lots of in positive and negative sentences, however it is more informal. It can be used with countable or uncountable nouns, and occasionally in questions.
  • We have lots of time to catch the plane, let's relax. (Uncountable noun)
  • There are lots of people in the queue today. (Countable)
  • Oh my, you have spent lots of money on clothes! (Uncountable)
  • I have lots of questions. (Countable)
She has a lot of money = She has lots of money
We use a few and a little to suggest a small quantity or not much of something.
A few is used with countable nouns (= some; not many)
A little is used with uncountable nouns (= some; not much)
  • There are only a few days left until Christmas. (Countable noun)
  • I have a few crazy friends. (Countable noun)
  • I would like a little milk for my coffee. (Uncountable noun)
  • There is little hope of finding your wallet. (Uncountable noun)
While Few and Little usually have negative meanings, especially when used with very.

  • He is sad because he has few friends. (Countable noun)
  • There are few honest politicians. (Countable noun)
  • There is little hope of finding your wallet. (Uncountable noun)
  • They have very little knowledge about politics. (Uncountable noun)

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar